It is time to ring in the New Year with our favorite 2015 interior design trends! What better time to change up your living space than January 1st, 2015. Maybe you have been thinking about giving your home a “spacelift.” Let’s start this New Year off right and get our living spaces in check, so that we can accomplish our personal goals this year!
This year we are going to see a lot of change in color, texture, and pattern. But before we talk about what trends are knocking on our front door, let’s talk about those 2014 design trends that are on their way OUT the back door.
1. Honey toned woods. Elle Décor predicted that these light, honey toned woods, would leave us feeling “fresh”. If what they meant by “fresh” was dull, then they were right.
2. Pastels. As Christos Prevenzanos, LA Interior Designer, said in 2014, using pastels in a living space is a “Monet meets Molly Ringwald” combo. First of all, if you had to google her name to find out who she is, she is probably not the best to compare to a design trend. Once you do google “Molly Ringwald” you’ll see the last TV/film that she was in was “The Secret Life of the American Teenager.” Enough said.
3. Hair & Hide. Somehow, we have let animal fur and skin crawl onto our living room floors, sit in our chairs, and hang on our walls. I remember my Grandfather hanging his kill on the wall 20 years ago and thinking it was cool. According to CNN, we can’t even trust that the “faux” fur is even fake anymore. Apparently it is less expensive to use rabbit hair than to manufacture the hair. Animal Rights aside, I think it is safe to say that you can store the cow hide area rugs for the Ice Age.
4. Overstuffed Sofas & Beds. Personally, I am sad to see this trend go this year as I was obsessed with throw pillows. Ask my fiancé! Every trip to target or home goods was an excuse to buy more throw pillows. However, this year is all about simplicity. One or two pillows on the sofa is not overwhelming, but the unwarranted mountain of down and feathers incased within a pretty fabric, is just too much for 2015 to handle.
5. Keep Calm & Carry On. This is BY FAR my favorite trend of 2014 to kick in the ass! (Excuse my French!) But I can’t handle it anymore and neither can 2015. These tacky signs that remind us every day to keep our cool remind me of my fiancé telling me to calm down when we are arguing. Don’t ever tell a woman to calm down! Instead of these unappealing signs, put up a real piece of art. DIY Project!
Check back tomorrow to find out what trends are taking these suckers place…